Photos on Fine Fettle Kettle are originals taken by Miriam Latour and under copyright protection.
Recipes are the creation of Miriam Latour, unless otherwise indicated.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Homemade Tortillas With Chili-Lime Chicken, Rice & Black Beans

The problem with making homemade tortillas is that once you've tasted them, you'll never want to go back to the conveniently packaged ones from the store. They are somewhat time-consuming, but the flavor and texture make up for the effort.

Tortillas:
4 cups of flour (I use a mixture of brown flour and white bread flour)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 T olive oil (or lard)
1 1/2 cups water

Whisk together dry ingredients, add oil with hands until crumbly, add water and knead until blended. Divide into 20 pieces:


Roll each piece as thin as you can


Fry each tortilla in canola oil until bubbly and brown on both sides


I used brown basmati rice. The nutty flavor and texture are fabulous, but you should use your favorite type of rice. Cook a couple of cups of rice according to directions.

The portions on the following are "to taste":

Cook a small chopped onion in olive oil with two cloves of crushed garlic. Add three chopped tomatoes, one can of drained black beans, chili powder, cumin, chopped fresh cilantro, oregano, and enough cooked rice to create a good texture.


Slice two large chicken breasts and stir-fry them in olive oil with chili powder, crushed garlic, cilantro, and fresh lime juice.


Top each tortilla with rice & bean mixture and chicken.

4 comments:

Michael said...

Can I just move into your house for dinner times???

Sherri Murphy said...

This looks wonderful! I've never made my own tortillas, but my cousin does all the time and I know it makes all the difference.

The Silly Witch said...

Can I just have dinner at your house? It would do a lot to help me achieve my new goal of sitting and ENJOYING my food.

SJ said...

We just tried making tortillas for the first time using your instructions. Success!