Photos on Fine Fettle Kettle are originals taken by Miriam Latour and under copyright protection.
Recipes are the creation of Miriam Latour, unless otherwise indicated.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Mimsy's Pork Buns

I just discovered that my offspring are gaga for steamed pork buns.  I don't think they knew it any more than I did.  I had fun experimenting yesterday with some leftover pork, and these were absolutely delicious.  Maybe not as pretty as some I've seen in photos, but the taste made up for the marred looks.

Mimsy's Pork Buns

Filling
1/2 lb slow-cooked, shredded pork
1/3 cup Chinese plum sauce
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1/4 cup chopped green onions

Combine in a bowl and set aside

Dough
1 cup warm water
2 tsp. yeast
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups flour

Add yeast to warm water with a pinch of sugar until it bubbles. Add remaining ingredients (except baking powder) with the first cup of flour and mix for at least a minute. Add more flour until the dough forms a smooth, soft ball, not too sticky, but not firm.  Allow dough to rise until double.  Divide dough and shape into about 24 balls.  Flatten each ball into circle, fill with 1 Tbsp of pork filling, and wrap dough around filling.  Place buns on wax paper and allow to stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.

Boil water in a wok or large sauce pan with a steamer and lid.  Place buns that will comfortably fit on the steamer, leaving 1 -2 inches between buns.  Steam over water for 15 - 20 minutes in batches until done.  Serve hot, or chill in fridge and serve cold.

2 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

I don't think your picture looks bad at all! I'm always looking for ways to use leftovers and this looks delicious!

Jeremymlad said...

i need one i need one RIGHT NOW! Those look awesome, and I'm sure I can find some pulled pork SOMEWHERE...

Miriam, sometimes I give my sister-in-law your recipes so she'll have a challenge and I'll have some food, and everybody's happy.