Photos on Fine Fettle Kettle are originals taken by Miriam Latour and under copyright protection.
Recipes are the creation of Miriam Latour, unless otherwise indicated.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spinach & Ham Whole Wheat Bread Pudding



At only 140 calories per serving, this is a great little recipe around Easter time. Save the calories for the carrot cake on my other blog. *wink* I've seen several versions of this recipe on the web. I'm not sure where it originated. I've changed things here and there to my own tastes. Never be afraid to play with recipes!

4 cups of cubed whole wheat bread (lightly packed)
10 oz wilted spinach
1/2 a red bell pepper, chopped and sauteed in oil or wine
1/2 an onion, chopped and sauteed in oil or wine
1 1/2 cups ham
7 -8 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, diced
Pepper and salt to taste (remember, ham adds salt flavor)
1-2 Tbsp mustard (optional)
1 cup grated cheese, your favorite (I used Gruyere)

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Mix together the bread, spinach, pepper, onion and ham in a large bowl. Pour the eggs and milk over bread mixture and combine until wet. Stir in rosemary, salt and pepper, and mustard if you wish. Dump the mixture into an oiled 2 quart baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with cheese, and cook until bubbly and brown on top. Serve hot with plain Greek yogurt.



1 comment:

♥ Kathy said...

That looks soooo good! And now you can slap me. I didn't even know you had other blogs! I just popped over to the Sugar blog and I'm drooling! I'm adding it to my list right this second!